As a teen, you may face many situations where others are encouraging you to do something that is risky, illegal or unhealthy. Coming up with a strategy before you face tough decisions makes it easier to stand up for what you believe.
Here are some tips for creating a safety plan for yourself:
- I will not go out alone, especially at night.
- I will keep my cell phone with me and program it with emergency numbers.
- Decide on a code word or phrase to use with friends and family to alert each other if you are in danger and need help immediately.
- I will keep in touch with someone I trust about where I am or what I am doing.
- No matter where I go, I will be aware of how to leave safely in case of an emergency.
- I will leave if I feel uncomfortable in a situation, no matter what my friends are doing.
- I will ask my friends to keep their cell phones with them when we go out in case we get separated and I need help.
- I will spend time with people who make me feel safe, supported and good about myself.
- I will call 911 if I feel my safety is at risk.